How old were you when you had your stroke? 24
- Date of your stroke? 11/04/2015
- What general area do you live in? Winona Lake, IN
- Type of Stroke? Ischemic
- Any known reasons for your stroke? Chiropractic adjustment to my neck which resulting in a dissected vertebral artery.
- What were your symptoms? Extreme numbness and tingling on my left side. Falling to my right. Nausea and throwing up. Double vision. Trouble swallowing. Neck pain.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? No
- Where did you go for in-patient rehab?
The hospital I was admitted to.
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab?
W hat are your biggest challenges/residual effects? Being restricted from usual activity, i.e. exercise and driving. Gaining back my balance.
How did you hear about NOPW?
What is something quirky/fun about yourself?
I am a nanny for 4 sweet babies. Two sets of twins. Thank goodness when the stroke happened it was nap time for all of them!
Don't be afraid to ask for help or feel like a burden to those close to you. They're there because they love you and want you to be with them a lot longer!
W hat was something that kept you going during your stay in the hospital that might encourage others? Don’t give up. I could have laid in bed and cried and thought I had no hope for recovery, but that’s the easy way out. Fight for your health! Fight for yourself!
What keeps you going now?
The drive to have a healthy fulfilled life. I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel on Nov. 4 and I’m not ready now! So I keep pushing to be a healthy and happy me!
What advice would you give someone recovering from a stroke now?
To not give up and to look for support in the ones around you. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or feel like a burden to those close to you. They’re there because they love you and want you to be with them a lot longer!