How old were you when you had your stroke? 2
- Date of your stroke? 05/17/2019
- What general area do you live in? Kansas City, Missouri
- Type of Stroke? Ischemic stroke of the right MCA
- Any known reasons for your stroke? Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I have heart failure because my left ventricle is enlarged which caused a clot that went to my brain.
- What were your symptoms? What were you feeling during your stroke? I had been having a very rapid breathing rate (60+ beats per minute) for about a week and had been very fussy. On may 17th, I woke up and my daddy tried to stand me up to play, but I just fell to the ground. My momma called 911 and they rushed me to Children’s Mercy Hospital. On the ambulance ride, I kept blacking out. When we got to the emergency room, they noticed my facial drooping and began a stroke master plan. I was intubated and had an MRI to confirm my stroke. I was on the ventilator for almost 2 weeks because I could barely breathe on my own. I still have a very significant loss of movement on my left side and can’t eat on my own well (I have an NG tube) and lost my ability to talk.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? No
- Where did you go for inpatient rehab? I will be going to inpatient rehab at Children’s Mercy next week hopefully.
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab? I’m just beginning my rehabilitation journey and still hospitalized for my heart failure.
Any therapy tips you picked up during your time in therapy that might help others?
I love when my therapists make it a playful experience.
What are your biggest challenges/residual effects?
I can’t talk and struggle with eating by mouth. My momma misses my voice but we’re learning sign language together to help. I have difficulty with my mobility too but I’m learning to do what my momma calls the “booty scoot”.
What advice would you give someone recovering from a stroke now?
Keep everything positive. And surround yourself with love and support.
What keeps you going now?
My momma and daddy. I love making all my nurses, doctors and therapists happy too.
Post recovery, what is something you have learned that might encourage others?
My journey has just begun.
What is something quirky/fun about yourself? Any hobbies?
I have the cutest lopsided smile. And I absolutely love wagon rides around the hospital floor doing my princess wave.
What’s your favorite motivation song?
How did you find out about NOPW?
My daddy’s friend participated in one of your car shows.