How old were you when you had your stroke? 35
- Date of your stroke? 09/24/2018
- What general area do you live in? Grain Valley, Missouri
- Type of Stroke? Hemorrhagic
- Any known reasons for your stroke? Weakened blood vessel in brain
- What were your symptoms? What were you feeling during your stroke? Headache, lethargic, woke in the middle of the night and lost control, couldn’t speak or walk. Taken to hospital by ambulance and testing found I had a stroke.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? No
- Where did you go for inpatient rehab? Madonna 1 month and QLI 4 months
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab? Centerpoint Medical Center
What are your biggest challenges/residual effects?
I was paralyzed on my right side. I am able to walk with an AFO brace. I am still unable to move my right arm. I have severe aphasia and apraxia which continues to improve, but is very hard.
What keeps you going now?
My family gets me through. I have three children; 13, 8 and 18 months who mean the world to me.
Post recovery, what is something you have learned that might encourage others?
How did you find out about NOPW?
Another stroke survivor told me.