How old were you when you had your stroke? 23
- Date of your stroke? 6/12/2016
- What general area do you live in? Huntsville, AL
- Type of Stroke? Left Carotid artery dissection
- Any known reasons for your stroke? They have no idea why I had my stroke.
- What were your symptoms? A couple months before my stroke I had experienced mild vertigo, loss of taste and smell, and weakness to my right side. During my stroke my right side went completely paralyzed, I couldn’t speak while I was paralyzed. When I was able to move again I was able to speak but I made no sense. I knew instantly that I was having a stroke when I put my left hand over my face and smiled. Only the left side was smiling. During my stroke and even on the way to the hospital I was very calm.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? I don’t know what that is.
- Where did you go for in-patient rehab? I was at the Huntsville hospital.
W hat are your biggest challenges/residual effects? My entire right side is in sensory shock. Basically just constant pain. I can’t really feel heat or cold much. I’m in constant outlook to keep my head safe from harm. If I get hit in the head, neck, or fall I have to immediately get to the hospital to get checked.
W hat is something you have learned that might encourage others? I have learned that if you have been given a second chance. Take it and run with it. I lived by one percent, and I’m going to make that one percent worth it.
You can make it through this. You are not alone.
What is something quirky/fun about yourself?
I know a lot of weird and random facts! Example: Babies are born without knee caps.
What keeps you going now?
Getting my degree. Living my life to the fullest and achieving all of my goals.
What advice would you give someone recovering from a stroke now?
You can make it through this. You are not alone. Just remember to take it one step at a time. And never be afraid to ask for help.
What’s your favorite motivation song?
Destiny’s Child – Survivor