How old were you when you had your stroke? 31
- Date of your stroke? 4/13/2013
- What general area do you live in? Stoutland, MO
- Type of Stroke? Cerebellar ischemic stroke
- Any known reasons for your stroke? PFO-hole in my heart.
- What were your symptoms? Sudden symptoms included vertigo, nausea, blurred vision, slurred speech, dizziness, and left-sided weakness. I was so sick and the world felt very dark and wouldn’t stop spinning. My husband drove me to an ER after my symptoms didn’t improve.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? No
- Where did you go for in-patient rehab? Mercy Hospital-Springfield, MO
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab? On-Site Rehab-Osage Beach, MO
What are your biggest challenges/residual effects? Brain-fog, problems with balance, dizziness, loss of short-term memory, fatigue, mood swings, overstimulation, aphasia. I always say I’d never pass a drunk driving test!
What keeps you going now?
I have three great boys (15,13, and 7) and an amazing husband that keep me going. And if I feel like I can’t keep going, they’re there to help. I also have a new best friend thanks to the young stroke survivor community! Nette Foster and I share similar stories and are now great friends.
What advice would you give someone recovering from a stroke now?
Don’t forget the bad days-they’ll make you stronger and appreciate the good days.
Give each day a chance and never quit fighting!
What is something you have learned that might encourage others? Every day is a new day. Just because you felt down and defeated today, doesn’t mean you’ll feel that way tomorrow. Give each day a chance and never quit fighting!
What is something quirky/fun about yourself?
I like the guy stuff. Give me an activity that involves an engine and shiny paint and I’m in heaven!
How did you hear about NOPW?
My family is native to KC.