How old were you when you had your stroke? 30
- Date of your stroke? 03/11/2017
- What general area do you live in? St. George, Utah
- Type of Stroke? Ischemic Stroke
- Any known reasons for your stroke? Caused by a condition called Primary Hyperaldosteronism or Conns Syndrome.
- What were your symptoms? We were getting ready for bed and mid sentence I couldn’t speak. My husband was confused until he noticed my arm wasn’t moving. He pinched it and it was completely numb. My left face was dropping and my blood pressure had spiked to 215/151.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? No.
- Where did you go for inpatient rehab? My insurance denied in-patient rehab stating they didn’t see any reason.
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab? Dixie Regional Neuro Therapy
- What are your biggest challenges/residual effects?I’ve spent a month learning completely how to walk again. I’m left handed and the stroke happened on my left side, so I’ve had to learn to use my right side more.
What keeps you motivated now?
Life! I can’t wait to hit the trails again and explore this world. I want to experience everything with my family and that’s why I fight to walk and gain use of my hand!
What advice would you give someone recovering from a stroke now?
You know, I really struggled with acceptance. I thought I would wake up better each kind of like th flu… but that’s not how the brain works. I had to accept this new life and really let myself feel all the emotions. It’s a rollercoaster of feeling so strong, to feeling so helpless. Support is everything, let people in and just fight for every single step!
Patience.... be so very patient! These things take time.
Post recovery, what is something you have learned that might encourage others?
Patience…. be so very patient! These things take time.
What is something quirky/fun about yourself?
I love jump-roping!
Any therapy tips you picked up during your time in therapy that might help others?
The more you do at home the more progress you will make. Focus on making each movement count and that it’s correct. Fight like hell to make that connection.
How did you hear about NOPW?
From Instagram! Thank you for letting me know about this community!
Follow Lainee on instagram HERE!