How old were you when you had your stroke? 18
- Date of your stroke? 06/15/2005
- What general area do you live in? Olathe, KS
- Type of Stroke? Brainstem
- Any known reasons for your stroke? My stroke was caused by two things. The birth control pills I was taking and an undiagnosed hole in my heart which allowed the blood clot caused by the pills to pass through my heart and enter my brain. In a strange twist, my stroke actually saved my life. I have been told the the blood clot was so large it would have entered my lungs and killed me instantly.
- What were your symptoms? My stroke was completely out of the blue. The only warning I had was a migraine about a week before.
- Were you administered TPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator) within the first 3-5 hours of your stroke? Yes.
- Where did you go for in-patient rehab? Saint Lukes South in Overland Park, KS
- Where did you go for outpatient rehab? Healthsouth
What are your biggest challenges/residual effects? I have memory loss. Both long term and short term. This is really hard for me. I have completely recovered physically from the stroke but the invisible brain injury is what I struggle with.
What was something that kept you going during your stay in the hospital that might encourage others?
Everyone is going through something. This has really helped me to realize that I’m not alone in life. Everyone in this world is going through or has gone through a difficult time.
What keeps you going now?
My family. I am married and I have two boys. 🙂
Never give up. Adapt, improvise, and you will overcome.
- What is something quirky/fun about yourself? I love to quote movies. Even with all my memory issues, Im still a pro at this.
- How did you hear about NOPW? Through my mother, Glenda Miller.